Tuesday, November 8, 2011

May I Have Just One Macadamia Nut Cookie? Please.

NO!  A puppy or dog should never have any Macadamia Nuts. As few as six Macadamia Nuts, either roasted or raw can be toxic to dogs.

There are several foods that can be dangerous to your dog that they should never eat. These include, but are not limited to; onions (can destroy a dog's red blood cells which could lead to haemolytic anemia), onion powder, garlic, excessive salt intake, avocados, and milk & other dairy products, which can cause digestive upset and diarrhea. Even small amounts of chocolate can cause problems, especially the dark varieties plus coffee, tea or drinks with caffeine should be avoided as this acts like a stimulant and affects the heart and nervous system. Sugary foods and drinks can lead to dental problems, obesity, and even diabetes.

It is true that grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs and cause acute (kidney) failure.
No amount of grapes or raisins are safe to give to your dog.

Peaches, plums, & persimmons can cause an intestional obstruction if the seeds are ingested.
Raw meat & fish can contain bacteria that causes food poisioning. The fat trimmings could cause very painful pancreatitis and bones can splinter or choke an animal.

Raw yeast dough, if ingested by a dog, could cause significant problems in the dog's intestine as it continues to rise. Baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg can also be toxic to your dog.

Others items around the house to keep away from your dog are; Sugar free candy & gum, toothpaste, and some diet foods sweetened with xylitol. This can cause an increase in insulin, causing the dog's blood sugar to drop and xylitol has also been linked to liver failure.

Be prepared! A your dog may eat something he shouldn't. Always have your vet's phone number and the closest veterinarian emergency clinic's phone number handy.
If you think your dog has eaten something he shouldn't call for emergency help at once. The ASPCA; Animal Poison Control Center's phone number is: (888) 426-4435 and always keep your Area Coordinator informed.

More blogs to follow about other things around your house, yard, and garden that could be harmful to your dog if ingested.

No comments:

Post a Comment